At Green Family Dental, you will find a wide range of preventive care available to you and your family.
- Adult and Child Cleanings
- Periodontal Therapy (deep cleanings)
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Smoking Cessation
- Diet Counseling
- Clenching and Grinding Therapy
Professional cleanings performed by a certified dentist or hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist or dentist will:
- Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Plaque, which collects on the surface of teeth and gums, can cause cavities, gingivitis (gum disease), or periodontal disease (gum and bone disease)
- Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease.)
- Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
Regular examinations help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations generally include the following:
- Oral cancer screening
- Visual tooth decay evaluation
- Visual gum disease examination
- Gum pocket measurement and tracking
- X-ray examination
Regular examinations are very important for your health. Remember, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”—Benjamin Franklin
X-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Detecting issues with X-rays before they become problems can save you money in the long run by preventing the need for more extensive, expensive procedures or surgeries. X-rays are primarily used to detect:
- Decay (cavities)
- Infection around roots
- Monitor bone levels
- Tumors, both cancerous and non-cancerous
- Impacted teeth
- Teeth that are still coming in
Digital X-rays Advantages
Digital X-rays have several advantages over traditional film based X-rays:
- They emit up to 90% less radiation
- They are ready for examination nearly instantly
- They can be viewed on a computer screen
- Their image can be refined and enlarged
- They are greener; no chemicals are needed for processing
Sealants are generally used to help prevent tooth decay on the biting surfaces of back teeth (molars). The natural grooves of these teeth can trap food that can resist casual brushing and rinsing. If left in place, the trapped food allows bacteria to multiply, eventually causing tooth decay and requiring costly attention.
Sealants are painted directly onto the tooth where they seal the natural grooves to help prevent tooth decay. While sealants are durable, they are not permanent. They can last up to three years of normal wear before needing replacement.
Sealants offer a cost-effective, preventative step to reduce the chances of tooth decay on the chewing surfaces of molars. However, they do not replace the need for regular brushing and flossing.
For more information, please visit the ADA website for patients at www.mouthhealthy.org/sealants.